Friday, March 23, 2007

Shoes in Church

Hi Everyone ..Peter called in today for a couple hrs on his way home .,Donna, Brett and Gwen also popped in to see Peter, we spent a lovely couple hrs chatting over a cuppa and looking at photo's of his trip west, As Peter left he said He should be home in Gympie Queensland tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

Now to finish off with a little story .

I showered and brushed......... I gazed at my watch with an imotionless sigh.
I got there and sat. In a pew just in time.
Bowing my head in prayer......... As I closed my eyes.
I saw the shoe of the man next to me..... Touching my own.
I sighed.
With plenty of room on either side...... I thought,
"Why must our soles touch?"
It bothered me, his shoe touching mine...
But it didn't bother him much.
A prayer began: "Our Father
" I thought, "This man with the shoes.. has no pride.
They're dusty, worn, and scratched. Even worse, there are holes on the side!"
"Thank You for blessings," the prayer went on.
The shoe man said. a quiet "Amen." I tried to focus on the prayer.
But my thoughts were on his shoes again.
Aren't we supposed to look our best..
When walking through that door?
"Well, this certainly isn't it," I thought, Glancing toward the floor.
Then the prayer was ended And the songs of praise began.
The shoe man was certainly loud Sounding proud as he sang.
His voice lifted the rafters .
His hands were raised high.
The Lord could surely hear..
The shoe man's voice from the sky.
It was time for the offering. And what I threw in was steep.
I watched as the shoe man reached into his pockets so deep.
I saw what was pulled out. What the shoe man put in. Then I heard a soft "clink" as when silver hits tin.
The sermon really bored me To tears, and that's no lie.
It was the same for the shoe man.
For tears fell from his eyes.
At the end of the service.. As is the custom here
We must greet new visitors.. And show them all good cheer.
But I felt moved somehow.And wanted to meet the shoe man.
So after the closing prayer. I reached over and shook his hand.
He was old and his skin was dark. And his hair was truly a mess But I thanked him for coming For being our guest.
He said, "My names' Charlie I'm glad to meet you, my friend.
" There were tears in his eyes But he had a large, wide grin.
"Let me explain," he said.... Wiping tears from his eyes.
"I've been coming here for months.... And you're the first to say 'Hi.'"
"I know that my appearance.....is not like all the rest But I really do try
To always look my best." "I always clean and polish my shoes....Before my very long walk.
But by the time I get here.They're dirty and dusty, like chalk.
" My heart filled with pain.. and I swallowed to hide my tears As he continued to apologize.. For daring to sit so near.
He said, "When I get here.....I know I must look a sight.
But I thought if I could touch you...Then maybe our souls might unite.
" I was silent for a moment...... Knowing whatever was said....Would pale in comparison.
I spoke from my heart, not my head. "Oh, you've touched me," I said......"And taught me, in part; That the best of anyone....Is what is found in his heart."
The rest, I thought this shoe man will never know.
Like just how thankful I really am... That his dirty old shoe touched my soul


It is true 'tis no stronger breast plate than a heart untainted'believe it
A couple of Quotes.
His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.
Mae West

There's no secret about success. Did you ever know a successful man who didn't tell you about it?
Kin Hubbard
Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make us see a thread which is not there.
E. H. Gombrich

15 Comments:

Blogger RUTH said...

What a lovely story; a lesson to be learned....don't judge a book by it's cover or a man by his shoes.

March 24, 2007 1:09 am  
Blogger david santos said...

very nice done Jeanette!
have a good weekend

March 24, 2007 3:00 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

David Santos is starting to creep me out...he's commented on every blog I visit today!! lol I checked out his blog, he's gets from 200 to 500 comments a post!! Anyway, I so loved the story, just goes to show that we should never judge a person by how they look! Love the quotes as well...good ol' Mae West! lol xox

March 24, 2007 11:07 am  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Jan,

Loved reading this post!

The story was very good-and the quotes!

Junie

March 24, 2007 11:46 am  
Blogger DellaB said...

well, everybody's beat me to the 'book by it's cover', of course, so I'll have to think of another one?

I know, the one I like a lot is about the man who had no shoes, who met a man who had no feet... ?

'There but for the grace of God ..' etc.

Lovely post, thanks Jen..

March 25, 2007 2:29 am  
Blogger Marion McCready said...

nice story and the dancing couple are so cute!

March 25, 2007 3:41 am  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Jan, hard trip home but I made it eventually, great to catch up with you and the "mini bloggers convention" hope we can spend a bit more time next time.

March 25, 2007 11:47 am  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I am glad you got to have a "cuppa" and spend some time with Peter. It sounds lovely.
The shoe stroy was great.
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy

March 26, 2007 4:20 am  
Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

A lovely story.
Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my new garden blog. I f you would like me to link to your blog I would be happy to do so.
Thanks again
Dx

March 26, 2007 4:23 am  
Blogger meggie said...

Lovley post Jeanette.

March 26, 2007 6:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gday. Your daughter looks so much like you.

March 26, 2007 12:03 pm  
Blogger Pamela said...

'bout made me cry.
so easy to be judgemental.

yesterday the hubby and I watched a guy hide a plastic sack in a street sign... then realized it was his corner to beg and the bag was his rain coat

sigh..........

March 26, 2007 1:32 pm  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hi Jan, great story. Your back yard plants are pretty impressive. I seem grow some of the plants you do which is weird considering the difference in climate. Or maybe not such a great difference?
Hugs Margaret

March 26, 2007 3:29 pm  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Jeanette. Thank you for sharing that touching story. Sometimes it's so easy to judge someone by the way he looks. We should always try to give someone a chance before closing our minds about him or her. The story is really inspiring.

Have a lovely week ahead. God bless.

March 26, 2007 5:56 pm  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Jan ~~ This is a really nice story. We shouldn't judge a book by it's cover or dusty shoes!! Thanks for your vsit. Glad you liked the 3 Things and the word definitions.
It will be nice to see you and Gwen
Let me know so I will be sure to be
here. Take care, Love, Merle.

March 27, 2007 12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home