Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Victoria On fire

Gday Everyone.I thank all that Inquired on my safety during these horrendous bush fires .
I am safe and well , And about 1 hr away from beechworth and 2hrs from the Wandong Whittlesea turn off, Well away from devastation these fires have caused.

Tonights post I sourced from daily papers and some Photo's I actually took from the Tv.during the news broadcast .
~~~
A series of bushfires, including 31 major fires, ignited across the Australian state of Victoria, on 7 February 2009. The fires have so far resulted in at least 173 deaths, and 78 people have been admitted to hospitals across Victoria with burns, at least 20 in a critical condition, and 9 on life support or in intensive care,

The fires have destroyed at least 922 homes, Many towns northeast of Melbourne have been almost completely destroyed, particularly; Kinglake, Marysville, Narbethong and Strathewen .

The fires occurred during the latter part of an exceptional heat wave, on a day when several localities across the state, including the state capital of Melbourne, recorded their highest temperatures since records began in 1859. The numerous fires are largely the result of recent lightning strikes, although some are suspected to have been deliberately lit by arsonists—whose action has been described as "mass murder" by the Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

~~~~~`

Towns have been declared crime scenes and the death toll in Victoria's bushfires could top 200 as the grisly search for bodies continues in communities which have been completely wiped out.

By today, the toll had reached 173 but that figure was certain to climb as identification experts were called in to take over from volunteer firefighters with the grim task of recovering bodies.

Senior fire and parks officials have told staff they fear the toll will double.

More than 700 homes have been destroyed, 330,000 hectares have been burnt out and more than 52 fires were listed as still burning throughout the state on Monday.

It was impossible to tell how many people were missing, authorities said, while one insurance company said the fires could cost half a billion dollars.

The Kinglake area remains the worst-hit by a fierce 220,000 hectare firestorm which ripped through the region on Saturday, killing 103 people so far and destroying over 550 homes.

At least 33 residents from the township of Kinglake alone have been killed, and a further nine from Kinglake West, with more expected.

The once idyllic communities of Kinglake, Strathewen and Marysville are little more than collections of ash and charcoal, with a few burnt-out house frames standing limply amid charred corrugated iron.

"This is of a level of horror that few of us anticipated."

Burnt-out cars which became tombs lined bush roads in the central highlands and volunteers were recovering the charred remains of friends and colleagues.

Huge emergency relief operations are underway throughout the state, with a massive exercise at Whittlesea which is serving survivors from Kinglake and its environs.

Tent cities have been set up in areas such as nearby Yea, while caravans, community halls and strangers' houses have become homes to thousands of newly homeless alone have been killed, and a further nine from Kinglake West, with more expected.











I actually travel along here the Whittlesea/Wandong road, when i visit my son and his family



















Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi Jen, I'm so glad that you are yours are all OK. We in the UK cant even imagine what fires like this must be like to be in or around.Our thoughts are with the Australian people at this moment, keep safe. Bob.

February 10, 2009 8:40 pm  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

I'm so glad you're okay, Jen. It's been so devastating, even for us here in Qld. I watch the news and cry..those poor, poor people. I hope they catch the arsonists and that they burn in hell. Apparently the police have quite a few leads and I hope those scumbags are feeling very nervous.

February 10, 2009 9:57 pm  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh....between you, Peter, and Merle...I've seen so much destruction and loss. I've been trying to keep up with all this [and the flooding in Australia too] on the 'net because of you three that I know so well from blogging. I'm glad to hear that you're all okay. But, it's sad to know that so many have lost their lives, their homes, their possessions.

Soon, I hope this will end.

Thanks Jen, for your birthday wishes you left for me in my comments.

February 10, 2009 10:51 pm  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

I was just watching the news earlier and learned about the bush fires in Australia. I'm glad that you're safe. It's so sad to learn about the people who perished in the fire.

February 10, 2009 11:01 pm  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

BTW, if you have time, please check this out. Thanks.

February 10, 2009 11:02 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Hi Jeanette, I'm glad to hear that you're safe and well, I just hope the fires don't come near where you live. Bob.

February 11, 2009 12:33 am  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Glad you are okay, Jeanette. We are too, so far. Ken hasn't done your DVD yet - sorry. I keep nagging him, but I guess he's had other things on his mind...

February 11, 2009 1:49 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

It looks like a horror movie shot in hell ! Horrible ! I follow it on TV and in the newspaper. Poor people. I was also worried about you. Each time I read Victoria I think of the fires !

February 11, 2009 1:55 am  
Blogger  Gigi Ann said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the update, and I am so glad to hear you and your family are safe. I read Merle and Peter's blogs yesterday and was glad to hear they and their families were safe also. We think of you blogging buddies on the other side of the world often and hope that
the fires will soon be under control and this will just be a horrible memory. It will be nice when things get back to normal, whatever normal will be after such devastation and horror.

I hope things go well with you this week and you and yours keep out of harms way.

Ann

February 11, 2009 2:59 am  
Blogger Ruthie said...

I'm so glad you are OK. I've been thinking about you and praying for you to be safe. What a sad thing. Hope it gets under control soon. Keep us posted.
Hugs.
Ruthie

February 11, 2009 5:08 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh, Jen, my heart goes out to everyone who has lost their lives, homes, etc, because of these horrible fires. To think that some of these fires were started deliberately just sickens me. Nobody with a conscience would do something like this!! I'm so glad to hear that you're safe. Prayers that this will soon be all over and people can rebuild their lives once again. xoxo

February 11, 2009 5:23 am  
Blogger Pamela said...

this is so heart breaking --

February 11, 2009 9:18 am  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Jeanette,

It breaks my heart to see those pictures and know that so many are lost, and many more homeless.

I'm glad you are safe where you at, and my prayers are with the many hurt or missing loved ones.

Take care and be safe,
Janice~

February 11, 2009 4:36 pm  
Blogger Peggy said...

What a blessing you and your family are safe! My heart goes out to those that lost loved ones and homes. Nicole (another blogger) has a brother missing. The last they heard from him he was in his car trying to leave his home that was on fire.

February 11, 2009 11:45 pm  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Jeanette, I'm so glad to hear that you and yours are OK. It's so sad to see those pictures.... so heart breaking...
A big hug to you.

February 12, 2009 1:08 am  
Blogger Red Clover said...

It's good to hear that you are safe, I have been wondering about you the last few days. I am sorry about this tragedy that is taking place in your country. May God comfort and keep Australia.

February 12, 2009 6:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've seen the reports of this on TV here of course. I'm so glad you were not in that area. I thought about you when I saw it reported. That is such a horrible horrible thing. We have fires here in the US every year that destroy a lot of trees and even houses but very few people lose their lives. Today they were talking about the millions of animals that lost their lives there.
Stay safe.
Charlotte

February 12, 2009 6:57 am  
Blogger Reader Wil said...

Oh Jen, how terrible. This is something so awful, I couldn't see the photos with dry eyes. I am glad that you are okay yourself, but all those poor people. I know a lady who lives in Melbourne. In winter she lives in Cooktown and in summer she lives in Melbourne, because it's cooler there.Well that's not the case now. Thank you for your information. Take care.

February 12, 2009 9:54 pm  
Blogger Bob said...

Thank you for your photo's keep hearing about it on the radio but miss the news on the tv. When I go swimming early in the mornings I keep seeing the man with his family in the water with everything burning arround having to keep putting his head in the water because of the heat. keep thinking about our dogs how do you tell them to come into the water to keep safe. Praying fo all the lost people and devistation. Vicki

February 13, 2009 7:07 am  
Blogger Rusty in Miami said...

Hi Jen, glad to see that you and your family are OK. I been following the story on the news and is such a tragedy. I hope the weather changes and you get some needed rain.
Stay safe

February 13, 2009 7:28 am  
Blogger Winifred said...

So pleased to hear you're OK. Hard to imagine this whilst we're in the middle of snow storms.

I've friends near Melboure but haven't had a reply from them yet. Pray they're OK.

Take care.

February 13, 2009 8:11 am  
Blogger Lady Di Tn said...

Jen
So happy that you are okay. What a pitiful site those photos show. Thanks for giving us an update as we get only snippits from the news here. Peace

February 13, 2009 10:15 am  
Blogger Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh Jen, I was so happy to read you're fine. I'm so sorry the fires have caused so much damage! I keep you in my prayers.

Kathi :)

February 15, 2009 1:15 am  
Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I must apologize for not dropping in to see how you were going during the fires... glad they got the guy... he will be in deep doo doo for now that is for sure... hugs to ya...

February 22, 2009 12:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home