Sunday, June 14, 2009

Adelaide Trip. ,Wentworth Jail PT 8

Gday All. Hope alls well in your part of the world, Im very well, Thursday played Pennant We our Team won by 4 shots. Ohh boy was it cold traveling in the small bus I think the temp only got to 9c all day, Friday, Saturday I spent most of the day indoors keeping warm,was rather cool and Cloudy a high of 13C. Today the sun was shining and was to nice to be indoors all day sunny top temp 15.6c so spent a few hours rehanging and putting my plants back in the fernery. then Emily and I went for a drive around the lake Its empty and walk along the foreshore. Took a few photo's but thats another blog.. Thats my weekend. NOW ON WITH A FEW MORE PHOTO"S FROM MY HOLIDAY.
Once again please enlarge any for a better look..


Front of Wentworth Prison
1879-- 1927
The Governors House attached to the prison .
, You have to go through the Governors house and pay a small entrance fee before entering the prison
Carol leading the way. Male Cells


The Male Cells

I wonder what the girls are looking at
This! The harsh conditions in the Prisoners cell No bed just a thin mattress on a concrete floor
Ohhhh my. dont try this you will go around the bend
The Knocker
laundry mangle
laundry copper and mangle
The womens section I wonder if the the broken fence is were the men tryed to get in or the women out...( just joking)
Female cell
Let me out! ,Let me out! im innocent
I just had to take a photo of this to show you

The Back door
whipping rack
In the yard . enlarge to be able to read

How would you like to be chained and left in the baking sun or pelting rain

This sign on the wall behind the tree stump


barren yard

A lonely tree can you see the old water pump
with the fire bucket full in readyness of fire .
Next Stop Swan Hill for Dinner and overnight stay a look around before we head for home..

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

Honnestly I prefer to go to prison today. Warm cells, good matrass, decent food what do you want else, lol ! Weatherwise you are really spoiled we are now end spring and have the same temperatures !

June 15, 2009 12:57 am  
Blogger Winifred said...

Looks like it wasn't too pleasant there. Good photos. Hope they didn't charge you to come out again.

Been meaning to ask you Jen. How do you get your photos to enlarge when people click on them? Some of mine enlarge when you click on them and others don't, yet I do the same action for all of them.

I've looked in the Blogger Help but can't find any info.

June 15, 2009 5:34 am  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Uck, I wouldn't want to be a prisoner back then.

Nice pics thank you for sharing, stay warm.

Janice~

June 15, 2009 2:51 pm  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Ugh! Aren't prisons depressing places! As for the recipe for that firewater...whoowee! That'd give you a headache.

June 15, 2009 9:17 pm  
Blogger Lady Di Tn said...

Ah, that place and practices make you want to be good. Maybe we should revisit this for some prisoners and we might have fewer laws broken. Peace

June 16, 2009 7:49 am  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Jen. I was here earlier but I lost Internet connection for a short period.

Thank you for the virtual tour. It's sad to think of all those people who suffered inside that jail a long time ago.

Sadly the prisons here have harsh conditions as well. Inmates are overcrowded and they have poor facilities.

June 16, 2009 8:40 pm  
Blogger Merle said...

G'Day Dear Jan ~~ So they let you out.Just as well, not a very happy place by the looks of it. Complete with whipping rack. Ugh. You sure fitted a lot into your fortnight's holiday.I have enjoyed following you all.

Thanks for your messages, Irena should have won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I do hope your Mammogram and Ultra sound give you good results. Glad you enjoyed the Tailgater joke etc.
Take care, Keep warm. Love, Merle.

June 16, 2009 10:50 pm  
Blogger Charlotte said...

You have so many great pictures. I always enjoy visiting museum type places like this. I visited Alcatraz prison in San Francisco years ago. That was very interesting.
Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
Charlotte

June 17, 2009 1:31 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the prisoners! I'm sure many of them regretted whatever they had done that put them in there!!!! Just the thought of losing my freedom like that brings on the panic...that's why I intend to always be a good girl and stay on the right side of the law! lol Loved the tour, thank you, dear Jen!! xoxo

June 18, 2009 8:18 am  
Blogger Gina E. said...

We have a lot of those old prisons in Australia, don't we! What a pity they are not still used for the likes of the Moran and Williams ratbags. Maybe if prison conditions were still harsh it would act as a deterrent...but maybe not. They had alcohol problems back then, but not the drugs like today.

June 20, 2009 11:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home