Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Big Lizzie Part 7

Gday All. Nothing to report its toooooo cold to be doing any outside activities..

.Today had a high of 11c and a very icy breeze blowing . Tonight expecting low of -2c high 9c tomorrow. and Ive had a call to play indoor pennant thursday Bus leaves for Wangaratta at 8.30am..BRRRR will need the thick woollies for traveling.. .

Well now on with a few more holiday photo's.

Please click to enlarge all photo's

On our way to Orange world. we see this sign so had to turn left and go see Big lizzie
Please enlarge to be able to read

Pauline standing in front of big Lizzie.

Hahaha. I bet you all were expecting to see a big Lizard as we were when we saw the sign.

Big Lizzie

Pauline going to read the sign






enlarge to read

A close of the machinary in the park.
Orange world

All aboard

Brian our driver and his Family run and operate this 50acre working property Brian tells A couple of jokes then we all sing Waltzing Matilda before we start a very informative tour. After our tour we were given a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and tasting of fresh orange blossom honey it was so yummy we all purchased a jar of honey , bottle of orange juice and a few souviners.
The Big Orange
the start of the tour

This is a variety of the Shaddock below.

The blood orange has crimson, colored flesh.

This fruit has no pulp or juice
Its peel is loaded with fragrant oils , the zest has many uses, can be used on fish, in alcoholic drinks, or in cooking.

A large sweet Valencia orange

The Shaddock is the largest orange in the world, and is ancient ancester of the grapefruit mainly used for making marmalaide (Jam). They range from cantaloupe to small watermelon in size and have a very thick rind and the flesh ranges from pink to rose in colour.

Pauline having a rest

its been a long day

Back at the car Carol tasting one of her purchases while waiting to squeezzzzze our purchases in between the suitcases and the wine.

Next Stop Wentworth

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

Must have been very nice your holiday trip !
and you complain about 11C° in winter ??? We have it right now in Summer, lol ! or maybe it's still spring, but it is cold ! especially when I think that one week ago I was laying at the swimming pool with 39°C in the shade ! Poor me !

June 11, 2009 1:15 am  
Blogger Bob said...

Hi Jeanette, I like the look of Big Lizzie! Gattina is right, its 11.7C here are the moment and throwing it down with rain. All winter we look forward to summer and all we seem to get is disapointed. Bob.

June 11, 2009 4:48 am  
Blogger Winifred said...

My that Lizzie's a big lass isn't she!

Love those pictures I can almost taste that fruit.

June 11, 2009 6:42 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Big Lizzie, eh? Well, yes, you're right, it certainly isn't a lizard.

Fresh oranges, yum. Don't they taste totally different from store bought ones.

It's been 30 years since I've been to Wangaratta, I bet the place has changed out of all recognition.

June 11, 2009 1:16 pm  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Wow Jen...what an amazing tour for us. I learned something about the Budda's Hand?....I'm hoping that that is the kind of orange ....no juice or no pulp just used for the oils. amazing.

Yep, I am careful going up on a stool. As you say, we're not getting any younger.

Hope your days have been perfect.

June 11, 2009 8:54 pm  
Blogger diane b said...

Came over from Gattina's blog. I've enjoyed your blog very much.
You had a great tour around. I have visited some of those towns and it was great to see some familiar places and especially to see places where I haven't been.
Gosh I think it is cold here 5 degrees right now but it climbs to 17 or 20 if we're lucky during the day and I'm freezing. I am wearing a long sleeved shirt and a jumper.

June 11, 2009 10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Thanks for sharing photos of such a wonderful trip. Looks like a lot of fun!

June 11, 2009 11:09 pm  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

WOW 110, do you get a lot of humidity with this kind of heat. I know this sound odd, but all my life I have been amazed by machines, my dad said I was his boy, ha, ha. I love the orange head, and orange juice is my favorite juice.Is the Budda's Hand still considered an orange? This was an interesting tour, thank you for sharing, also thanks for coming by.

June 12, 2009 2:46 am  
Blogger Lady Di Tn said...

Oh you do need your woolies for that weather. Burr and Double Burr. So many different oranges. I thought Big Lizzie would be a old car on steroids boy was I fooled. Thanks for sharing . Peace

June 12, 2009 7:16 am  
Blogger Fred said...

Wow - those oranges are huge! We all love fresh squeezed oranges here...I'm suddenly in the mood for some.

June 12, 2009 9:54 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Jan ~~ I enjoyed your latest post and the photos of the oranges. Big
Lizzie was a machine of some sort
to use in the orchard, no doubt.

Thanks for John's Birthday wishes. It sure has been very cold this week
so I am indoors most of the time.
I hope you are keeping warm also.
Take care, Love, Merle.

June 12, 2009 9:04 pm  
Blogger Rusty in Miami said...

Hi Jen, send some of that cold our way; we are dying of heat over here. Have a great time on your holiday

June 13, 2009 11:21 am  
Blogger Peter said...

G'day Jan,the tour of orange world sounds good, I knew about Big Lizzie from a previous visit.

June 13, 2009 1:03 pm  
Blogger Pamela said...

big lizzie is a freaky looking piece of machinery.

And that guy on the bench is really giving her the once over --

I've purchased blood oranges a few times. I just prever a good navel.

June 13, 2009 1:51 pm  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi:)

Greetings:)

Very interesting and informative post with lovely photos.

I am unable to understand the cold climate you are having when most people are reporting spring in other countries. In our place the summer is almost over and it has started raining.

Have a nice day:)
Joseph

June 13, 2009 10:53 pm  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Great shots. It must have been fun going around that place and seeing all those fruit bearing trees. I love pomelo. My MIL has a tree but it doesn't bear many fruits. This is the first time I've heard of the Budda's Hand.

June 16, 2009 8:45 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh gosh, Big Lizzie! I've got some photos of that thing tucked away somewhere, taken many years ago!

June 20, 2009 11:44 pm  
Blogger Rusticgal said...

I have photos of Big Lizzie taken about 1973 when it was in a park. I am standing next to it, and look very small next to this lady. Denise

December 02, 2009 7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home