Sunday, October 08, 2006

My Week - Cazz 06.10.06

G'day everyone,

Well, we had a bit of a busy and fun filled weekend. Friday arvo it was off to Albury, NSW, for a HIA (Housing Industry Australia) awards night, where the Company I work for 'Diverse Builders Pty Ltd" won the award for Best Custom Built Home under $250,000 in Northern Regional Victoria, which was a great effort by all concerned... so needless to say, my work collegues and I really had something to celebrate, and with free food, beer & wine I dont think I need say more !!!!

Saturday was spent shopping, and browsing the city centre, exploring local sites and then over to the Commercial Club to watch the Eagles beat the Swans in the AFL Grand Final. We decided on a quiet night, I had a little flutter on the "Pokies" (slot machines) and come out a winner, which was great, it helped recoup the cost of the new shoes, and top that I had bought earlier !!!


Albury War Memorial
Located on Monument Hill at the western end of Dean Street, the Albury War Memorial is the most visible landmark in the city.
The site was chosen by city town planner Charles Reade, and the monument, designed by Architect Louis Harrison, was opened on Anzac Day 1925 by General Paine.
The monument is a white ferro concrete tower, in the form of a tapered lighthouse painted stark white and surmounted by a 'torch of liberty'. This torch is 1.8 meters high and faced with 40 panes of prismatic glasss.
During the day sunlight plays through this glazing giving the torch the illusion that it is lit. The tower provides a striking terminus to the vista down the street.
The tower was originally lit by ground lights however electric lighting was not supplied to the torch until 1995. In the same year a number of individual plaques were set in the gardens around the monument to recall those who had died in both World Wars, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

View from the memorial looking down over Albury.

Albury Food & Wine Festival

With the sun shining on a glorious spring morning, we booked out of the motel, and decided to check out the food & wine festival. We were among the first to arrive.

There were over 65 local food & wine growers promoting, & selling there wares. The hardest part of the day for me, was deciding which wines, after sampling, to buy, they were all good and as the day got on, even the "mouth puckering" variety were starting to taste all right !!!!.

For Ian, it was "Oh boy, food, beer, food, beer". I think he sampled most of the food, and DEFINITELY all the beer.


They also had some great Jazz bands playing through out the day, also events organised for the kids - sack races, face painting, finger painting, petting zoo (baby animals). The admittance cost was $5 adults or $12 for family. We had a great day, and looking around us, so did many others.






My son Michael, turned 23 on 4th October. I havent really spoken about Michael previously... let me explain.

Michael was diagnosed in 1997, aged 14yrs, as a paranoid psychotic schizophrenic. He spent alot of time in and out of adolescent mental institutions, which was a very hard & trying time for all. As an adult, Michael has done his fair share of hospitalisations also. I wont go into all the trials and tribulations of trying to raise, protect, and shelter someone you love so endlessly, let alone the frustrations. But I will say this ' without the love and support of my family, I would have been lying in the bed next to him!" Michael is not able to co-exist, so he has his own place, and is doing extremely well at this present time, but I am always aware that this can change quicker than you can blink an eye. Due to his paranoia I refrain from posting things that relate to or involve Michael, but as this is a special day, I asked him for his permission before writing this blog.

Here he is pictured below with my brother Gary, his best mate.


Well thats about it for me this week, hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and the sun is shinning down upon you.

Cazz

15 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Hey sis, Sounds like you had a fun weekend, but must admit you missed a good one at my place for grandfinal as usual.
You are always the first to arrive, must be in the blood might miss out on something...LOL
Great photos, cant wait for us to catch up again soon.

I cant believe Michael is 23 already, how quick that has gone, I was only 14 when he came into this world. Will always be there for you Michael.. Happy Birthday

Jo xoxoxoxoxo

October 08, 2006 8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol ~ Glad you had a nice weekend with all the goodies, food and beer and
a good time. Thanks for sharing Michael's story, that cannot be easy for you. So glad that Gary is his best mate.
I hope he had a happy birthday.Take care
Carol and let's hope Michael stays well.
Cheers, Merle.

October 09, 2006 12:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carol sounds like a good weekend, I well remember your Dads description of the Hanley Half Hour. Happy Birthday Michael.

October 09, 2006 1:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such fun, to go to any festival!! Also, warm birthday wishes for your son. I am bipolar myself and understand the struggles of living with a diagnosis. I look toward a benevolent Universe though and do send my best energy toward Michael's independence.
Have a great day!

October 09, 2006 1:46 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 09, 2006 6:07 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Hi Cazz.
Firstly "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" Michael,
looking at the photo's you and IAN SURE HAD A GREAT WEEK-END.THE PHOTO OF LOOK-OUT BROUGHT BACK SOME NICE MEMORIES FOR ME.
TALK SOON DARLS XOXO

October 09, 2006 7:20 pm  
Blogger Gazza said...

How long did it take to wipe the smile of Ians face? Beer, food and more beer, wahooo!

I tried to contact Junior on that number you gave me,unfortunately no answer.

October 09, 2006 9:53 pm  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh wow, that festival sounds like it was a lot of fun...especially the wine tasting!! hehe That war memorial is quite impressive and I love the view you can see from there! Happy Birthday to your son...hope he continues to do better:-) I also enjoy playing the slot machines and love it even more if I can win...unfortunately that doesn't happen too often! lol

October 09, 2006 11:38 pm  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Caz -- Sounds like you had a real nice and very busy weekend too. Those wine festivals are fun. Mrs. Jim is always a sucker for buying, I just enjoy going around sampling.

I enjoyed reading about the monument and your work too.

Happy Birthday (late) Michael!

Jail is where I had told the blogging world we were going this spring last March and April when we went to Europe. I played the jail game everytime I could get to an Internet cafe to post. Daughter, Susie, wrote some hilarious posts then.

I mentioned to Peter once that if Australia would use all that water than goes into the wine they ship out to irragate you guys wouldn't have to worry about the drought.
..

October 10, 2006 12:18 am  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Sounds like a fabulous outing. Especially the wine tastings. Love the Aussie wines. Happy
Birthday Michael. 23 is still so young

October 10, 2006 6:14 am  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Cazz ~ Looks like a FUN time! I loved the "G'day G'day" song. It reminds me of my time downunder last year. Always a TREAT for a Yank! ~ jb///

October 10, 2006 8:42 am  
Blogger sophie said...

He is very handsome:)

hugs:)

October 10, 2006 12:50 pm  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

That is great "I know a member of the winning awards team" good on you! as builders ourselves we know how an award like that can make everyone feel fantastic. I see you all made the most of your trip to Albury/Wodonga. I lived there for a few years in the Wodonga army camp :o) so know the place well.

just great about your dear Michael's birthday he looks a very handson young man.

Lee-ann

October 10, 2006 8:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jan ~ I have been wondering how you went bowling today. I hope it was OK.
Glad you are feeling a little better and glad you got your Romas in. I have to get a couple of those as they are my favourite. Mine were 2 cherry bites, and 2 other bgger tomatos.A Burkes Backyard one and Apollo. Today I planted some capsicums. Take care, Love, Merle.

October 10, 2006 9:04 pm  
Blogger Peggy said...

very handsome son you have! I would love to have been there with you tasting all those wines! Lucky you

October 12, 2006 1:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home