Saturday, September 08, 2007

Bowls opening season

G'day everyone, hope your well and the weather is nice where ever you maybe. We are having perfect spring weather here today was 21c Just perfect for the start of New bowling season. Tuesday was the official opening of our club for 2007-2008 . With 47 players in attendence after a game of 10 ends were played, we all went inside for a nice luncheon a chat, lucky numbers were drawn and a few jokes were told . A Great day had by all.
Friday was the official Opening of The Ovens and Murray bowling season. The governing body of our district declares the season open then rules of the day are read out before we can start play for the day with 180 players in attendance 3 games were played starting at 10.30am breaking for lunch 12.30pm back on the green 1.15pm ending about 4.30 back inside for afternoon tea a few more speeches, announcing winners for the day, raffles drawn homeward bound 5.30pm once again a good day had by all but very tiring first week back. And tomorrow sunday another big day bowling this time Indoor Carpet bowls return visit to our club by SS&A,
so another big day bowling plays starts at 10am the day will finish about 5pm


~~~~~~~~~

Forty seven ladies play their first bowl of the season at home club


Now on with the the game yours Truly waiting to put down my bowls

The Next three the Official opening of Ovens and Murray


Your truly hands on hips waiting my turn and watching game

Afew bowling ladies


To End with a couple of Stories that were told at our bowling clubs opening

To A Needle
You dear little needle
my bright little friend,
how often you helped me to make and to mend.
So quick and so willing to lend me your aid
in loosing tangles that others have made!
there's many a fancy,there's many a dream
You've worked through a button,or into a seam,
but the dreams are delusive they rarely come true,
and fancies soon vanish when facts come in view ,
So sometimes it happens When nobody's near
the silk you embroider is marked by a tear.
Ah!how you have roused me with just a faint prick,
and urged me to labourwhen sad and heart sick;
Then bright-eyed and busy
you'd peep in and out
though the folds of whatever lay handy about,
Disdaining no cotton, no lagging behind
for texture or colourof a different kind.
My fingers caress you my true friend of old,
You could not be dearer if fashioned in Gold.
By Grace Maberly Jordon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE OlD ROCKING CHAIR IS EMPTY TODAY
For Grandma no longer sits in it;
She's off in her car to visit or shop
and buzzes around every minute.
No one can shove Grandma back on the shelf;
She is versatile, forceful, dynamic,
thats not a pie in the oven I see!
her baking today is ceramic.
You wont see her trundle off early to bed
from her place in the warm chimney nook;
Her typewriter clickety clacks through the night ,
For Grandma is writing a book.
Grandma never takes a hesitant step
to slow her steady advancing.
She wont tend the babies for you anymore
For Grandma is taking up dancing .
She is not content with the crumbs of old thought ,
with meagre and second-hand knowledge,
don,t bring your mending for Grandma to do
For Grandma has gone off to college .
By ANON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ventriloquist
A young ventriloquist is touring the clubs and one night he's doing a
show in a small town in Arkansas.
With his dummy on his knee, he starts going through his usual dumb blonde jokes.
Suddenly, a blonde woman in the 4th row stands on her chair and
starts shouting:I've heard enough of your stupid blonde jokes.
What makes you think you can stereo type women that way? What does
the color of a person's hair have to do with her worth as a
human being? It's guys like you who keep women like me from being
respected at work and in the community, and from reaching our full potential as a person.
Because you and your kind continue to perpetuate discrimination against
not only blondes, but women in general...and all in the name of humour! "The embarassed ventriloquist begins to apologize, and the blonde yells, "You stay out of this,mister!
I'm talking to that little shit on your knee"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little quote
Practice makes perfect
But nobody's perfect
So why practice?

19 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh Jen I LOVE the one about Grandma!! Can I lift that from you to send to my Do Care co-ordinator for her newsletter? The clients (mostly elderly) love jokes and rhymes about themselves!

September 09, 2007 1:32 am  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Jenette,

My favorite was the grandma one too.

Sorry I hadn't been commenting but my links aren't working anymore, and the ones I saved went kapute when the computer went down.

Janice~

September 09, 2007 4:28 pm  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Yes, that Grandma rhyme describes me to a T. Today's grandmothers are nothing like their predecessors at all. For which I am truly thankful...I'd go mad having to stay home and bake or something all day...not me at all!

Have a nice week.

Hugs

September 09, 2007 4:40 pm  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Jan ~~ I liked all your post, the Sewing needle, Grandma and the joke ans Practice makes perfect. Good one.
Thanks for your comments and I see yo were tired after the big Bowls day.
I am so glad that Geoff and Jo help with the garden. Geoff has always looked after it for me, he comes up from Sunbury every few weeks. Sorry
you are still on Level 4, I think we should have gone down to 3, not 2. We haven't had any rain, so doubt if it will last long.
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

September 09, 2007 9:38 pm  
Blogger Lady Di Tn said...

Looks like you had a fun day. Thanks for letting me know about Slim Dusty. I think the song on your blog is so happy to hear.
lol at blonde joke.
peace be with you

September 10, 2007 1:09 am  
Blogger Renae said...

Love the rocking chairone!! The sewing needle poem is also very cute. Looks like you had a blast with the bowling !! The weather looks beautiful !! We are heading into autumn. The leaves havn't changed color yet, but the weather sure is cold at night. Take care and have a wonderful day !!

September 10, 2007 5:32 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

I am very surprised that you play bowling in open air and it doesn't look like bowling to me at all ! We play bowling always inside because you need a line and then keys and you have to knock them down with your bowling ball. What I see here on your pictures looks more like "Pétanque" which was originally a French ball game but is now played in other European countries too. But the balls on your pictures are much bigger.

September 10, 2007 3:23 pm  
Blogger RUTH said...

Great photos of your bowling day...fabulous blue skies too! Love the Grandma poem...especially as I'm a Grandma who starts college on Friday :o)Hope you don't mind if I borrow it and put it on my blog on Friday...I'll link back to you of course.
Rx

September 11, 2007 5:48 am  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'm sure you're thrilled that bowling has started up again...I know how much you enjoy it:-) I remember the first time I heard about that type of bowling was when I first started reading your blog last year! Grandmas sure have changed through the years...I guess the only part that hasn't changed is how much they love their grandkids:-) xox

September 11, 2007 10:23 am  
Blogger Pamela said...

awwww.... the infamous lawn bowling you promised to teach me.

(the last quote about practice makes perfect... I bet you keep trying though)

September 11, 2007 10:42 am  
Blogger Val said...

Good grief, wasn't it just last week that you were having your bowling club break up party? Where does the time go?

September 11, 2007 5:53 pm  
Blogger Bob said...

Hi Jeanette, It looks a nice day for your bowls match. This might seem a stupid question but is that grass you're playing on? Bob.

September 11, 2007 9:52 pm  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Jan,

I know you're in for a lot of fun times with your bowling. Good for you!


:) The jokes wee funny- especially that Blonde joke!!


Junie

September 12, 2007 3:34 am  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Wow it looks lovely and dry chez vous... thanks for your comment Jeanette that it's MY blog not to worry what anyone thinks I think you're right... nobody like's a dullard please-everyone blog. or book. or anything else

September 12, 2007 4:18 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Jan ~~ Thanks for your
comments, glad you liked my cinerarias and the statue joke. etc
Is Thursday 27th still looking good for you girls? See you soon.
Love, Merle.

September 12, 2007 4:37 pm  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

LOL on the blond joke. That's too funny. Now, with the bowling---I must go out on the internet and read up on this sport....'cause here in the states, bowling is done indoors. I've heard of lawn bowling...is that what this is? Dang!! *color ME blond as I rush out and type in google search!!!*

Have a blessed day and hope the weather continues to be perfect for you.

September 12, 2007 10:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm new to your site. LOVED the picture of the Australian Wattle tree. WISH I could grow that here in Texas. Love the blog.

September 13, 2007 9:44 am  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Wow what lovely weather: I always think that when I see such photos!

What was I going to say: "Australiana Romance"... did you read the Thorn Birds? Did you like it? I think it is the best book about Australia I ever read it really summed up the atmosphere of a cattle station.

And I don't normally like "romantic" books at all

September 14, 2007 4:56 am  
Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Jeanette. Weather is not too good here. The weather has been quite unpredictable. It could hot and sunny in the morning then it will suddenly rain in the afternoon. I hate this kind of weather because it's making many people sick. In fact, my son got sick just recently but I'm thankful that he is better now.

Thanks for sharing all these great photos. I've never tried or witnessed an outdoor bowling like that one before. Very interesting.

Thanks for visiting. Take care!

September 15, 2007 6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home