Friday, June 23, 2006

COOBER PEDY .. Part 2


Stopover and sightseeing tour CooberPedy .
Alan and I found it very interesting, I hope you all enjoy my photo's

On site Coober Pedy Caravan Park.
As its very dry here, and water is a precious commodity, you need to carry enough water to accommodate your needs, plus a little more !! Just to explain a little further, to take a shower at the caravan park it costs 40cents for a 3 minute shower, barely enough time to wash the dust from the body and the shampoo from the hair !!



Picture of the exterior of an underground Greek Orthodox Church.



The interior of the Greek Orthodox Church. Once again the picture does not show the beautiful colors of the walls and lead glass, If you look closely, you can see the sculptured ceilings.


Exterior of an underground home. One of many we walked through.

See previous post for the interior.



Coober Pedy Golf Course.

This is a picture of one of the "greens". Not a blade of Grass to be seen.


Peter said...
For anyone reading this that doesn't know about "Sand scrape Greens" they are pretty small and consist of sand with a fair amount of sump oil mixed into it.The multi reasons for this are, to stop the sand blowing away, to give a clear difference in colour to the sand that surronds them, and to enable a smooth line to be raked from ball to hole, all you need do then is try to gauge the pace of the green... Slow to Bloody Slow is about it.

Thanks Peter, Alan would have known that, but me, alas, had no idea!!


15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great snaps .. keep em coming .. I know you have heaps. What happened to the other ones earlier?? They were good also.

June 23, 2006 10:27 pm  
Blogger Peter said...

That's a long story hey Jan, just produce them again as if by magic!!
BTW you can add some text to them if you want to while they are in edit mode.

June 23, 2006 10:48 pm  
Blogger Peter said...

Congratulations, you even got the comment back, I thought it would vanish.

June 23, 2006 11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing a little wave of "Cazz's Magic Wand" couldn't fix !! I am available for help anytime Peter, just drop me a line !!!

Okay where is this tour North taking us next mum? If I'm not able to go personally, I can do it right here !!!

June 24, 2006 12:41 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Jan ~~ Like Carol I wont ever be able to visit these places, so am enjoying reading about your trip and the photos.I did not know there was an underground church there. Had heard of the houses. Thanks for your comment at my place. Take care, Merle.

June 24, 2006 1:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh my gosh mum, will have to get some lessons from you soon, that is fantastic.
"im very proud of you"
as you would say to us...heheheh.
Keep up the good work.. but surely there must be a better pictures of me.. lol
Luv your daughter Scruffy!!!!

p.s. im getting instructions on how to leave a message.. this is bad.. bad... bad... heheheh

June 24, 2006 1:44 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Jan and Joanne (surely not Scruffy)
Thank you both for comments. I hope YOU
know what caster sugar is. I like Joanne
saying she will try the shortbread when
MUM makes them. And Carol is offering
Peter help. Sounds like they could be your daughters !!! Take care, all of you
Merle.

June 24, 2006 4:45 pm  
Blogger megz_mum said...

Wow, lovely photos, would love to visit there one day!

June 24, 2006 10:00 pm  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I liked the pictures. Merle sent me over. I enjoyed my visit. Have a great day!

June 25, 2006 7:19 am  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

These last couple of posts are very interesting and you've taken such fascinating pictures. Thanks for the information on Coober Pedy living.

In case you're wondering how I found you...Merle sent me.

June 25, 2006 1:14 pm  
Blogger Granny said...

Hi. Thanks for your visit and comment.

Today I'd gladly swap weather with you.

June 25, 2006 8:20 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hi Jen, just found your blog today, I am fasinated with Coober Pedy, the underground houses are amazing. That's what I love about blogs -finding out about other parts of the world! I cannot imagine what is is like living in such a dry place - and we complain about all the rain in England!

I look forward to seeing more.

June 25, 2006 10:04 pm  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Hi Jan, your travels must have been great too, I'm enjoying seeing the photos of the places, no inclination to go there though, not very Australian of me I know. hugs jacqui

June 25, 2006 10:16 pm  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi there ... I am visiting via Peter. You have a wonderful blog here. I especially love all the photos on Coober Pedy. My hubby and I travelled through there and stayed a couple nights on our way to Alice Springs in the early 90s, and were fascinated witht he place. Back then it was only 20cents for a 3 minute shower in the caravan park !!! But still not nearly long enough !!! Did you get out to the Breakaways, and Crocodile Harry's place, where they filmed some of one of the Mad Max movies ??? Very interesting.
Anyway, good luck with the blog, I'll be back to visit. It's nice to meet fellow Aussie bloggers. Oh yeah, I loooove Yarrawonga, and spent many happy holidays on the banks of the Murray between Yarra and Cobram, at Dead River Beach. Love it, miss it, want to come back soon.
Take care, Meow

June 26, 2006 10:39 am  
Blogger Peter said...

For anyone reading this that doesn't know about "Sand scrape Greens" they are pretty small and consist of sand with a fair amount of sump oil mixed into it.
The multi reasons for this are, to stop the sand blowing away, to give a clear difference in colour to the sand that surronds them, and to enable a smooth line to be raked from ball to hole, all you need do then is try to gauge the pace of the green... Slow to Bloody Slow is about it.

June 26, 2006 7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home