Friday, June 16, 2006

A Little About Me

I lived my younger years in the big smoke "Melbourne". Married Alan (alias "Big Al") in July 1959.



Together we raised 4 wonderful children

From Left: Joanne, Donna, Gary & Carol (Xmas 2004)

  • Carol (alias "Big Lou" & "its_me_cazz") born January 1960
  • Gary (alias "Great Gatsby") born May, 1961
  • Donna (alias "Skippy") born August, 1966
  • Joanne (alias "Scruffy" & "checkez") born June, 1969

And combined, have given me 12 grandchildren & 4 step grandchildren. Pictures will pop up here and there - maybe in my "Nannas' Brag Book".

After spending many Christmas vacations at the Yarrawonga Caravan Park, fell in love with the town and decided to semi-retire, we bought a very old and run down house, and with a lot of help from family & friends, and many a fun "working bee" weekend, renovated and bought the old girl up to scratch. We fully retired in 1990, left the business for Gary to run and moved permanently to Yarrawonga.

The summers here at Yarra (as it is affectionately known) are VERY hot - nothing for it to be 40°C + for weeks at a time, but the winters are bloody cold dropping to below zero. So during the colder months, May through to September, Alan and I would load up the 4WD, hitch on the caravan and head up North, and visit friends in Darwin, then travel on and stay at LeePoint Caravan Park. During our trips we made many new friends, and it become like our second home. (Ahhh.. now that's another "blog")

In the April of 2004 I was diagnosed with bowel cancer. After 2 major surgeries and a large portion of the bowel removed, I am pleased to say that I am in full recovery and at this point in time am cancer free.

In October 2004, my beloved Alan suffered a major brain haemorrhage, and passed away a week later.

From then till now, I have lived a quieter life, staying at home and trying to come to terms with all that has transpired.

I am a member of our local services club Lady Bowlers (lawn bowls) and enjoy playing in social games and pennant comps. I also play indoor carpet bowls, of which my sister is also a member, and be both play social and pennant comps.

When not bowling, I like to spend time at the computer, playing a few online games at Yahoo, chatting with friends & family, and reading all at "Holtieshouse" and all his family associated blogs.

Well that's about it for tonight, brain is fried, the eyes are seeing double, need to go and stretch the legs, make a cuppa and head off to bed.

Niters for now,

Jen

8 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

That's a great start Jan, I'll email you some information about doing some things on your site over the weekend.

June 17, 2006 12:47 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Jan ~~ This is a great post introducing yourself, and you did well
to get photos on first try. I hope you are OK and sorry you had to have another
op, no matter how small. Thanks for the
e-mail letting us know. I will read your posts with interest. Take care Jan, guess I should call you Jen now!
Cheers, Merle.

June 17, 2006 12:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello My Pet. Clearly your well on your way to entering the world of blogging. GO TEAM NAN! haha. lookin greash. Keep Up the good work.
Luv
Raya.
xoxoxo

June 17, 2006 9:00 pm  
Blogger Peter said...

Looks like you're off and running Jan, well done.

June 17, 2006 10:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your doing a great job Mum, keep up the good work. Cant wait to see the "Brag Book" !!!

Love always
xxxoooxxx

June 19, 2006 1:48 am  
Blogger Granny said...

Sorry it took me so long to get here. I've been reading backward through posts and looking at the photos. Very nice.

I'm adding you to the growing list of my Australian "friends who live in my computer".

Come visit me anytime. Merle and Jacqui can tell you I'm harmless.

Ann (aka granny)

Merced, CA
USA

June 25, 2006 12:47 pm  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Jan,

I am another who found your site through Peter and Merle.

I love reading of other people's lives...and am looking forward to a lot more pictures and stories of Australia!
I read Merle, Peter and Jacqui every day!

Hope you'll visit me at Junie's Place too!

June

June 26, 2006 2:59 am  
Blogger RUTH said...

Oh I truly see why you understand. The strange thing is Mick had bowel cancer 7years ago....something I've not written about on my blog yet; dealing too much with day to day to go back into history yet. He too had part of his bowel removed and in true Mick fashion bounced back to good health. He had been given his final ALL CLEAR only 3 months before the brain tumor diagnosis (in no way related the doctors say). I love the Little Quote on your posting of 22nd June and as I haven't before been this far back in your archives enjoyed the (new to me) jokes.
Take Care
Ruthx

December 16, 2006 11:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home